Le sigh. This situation has given me a glimpse of what hardship it must be to experience grief as an expat- far away from those you would love to hug and comfort and hear kind words from.
So, my plan was to tell you today a bit about how we have spent our weekends while here in Shanghai. Tomorrow will mark two weeks in country, and we are developing a bit of a pattern already.
Harper loves weekends because she gets to sleep in a bit, and enjoy full days with both Mommy and Daddy to order around. Fun tidbit: Most parents dread their children learning the word "no," but Harper has latched onto "yes" as her go-to bossypants command. Too many times she has said, "More?" and heard me ask, "You want some more crackers?" She then replies "YESSh" and subsequently gets more crackers. Harper has taken out the middle man now. We hear, "More? YESSH. Yessh. MORE? YESSH. YESSH." Constantly. Sub in any other word for more. Bath? YESSH. Gab-Gab YESSH. It might get annoying if it wasn't so damn cute. My Southern upbringing pushes me to turn her bossiness into politeness- We are now working on, "More. Yessh pweeeese." See? Fixes everything.
Okay, back to the weekends. We eat breakfast at a downstairs restaurant buffet on the weekdays as a family every morning. Very nice perk to our staying in a hotel residence for a month. I reference Dylan McKay a la BH, 90210 on many occasions.
However, on the weekends, we are on our own for breakfast. Last weekend, we ordered in and enjoyed the posh spread from the "American breakfast"on the room service menu. We were better prepared this weekend, and we were able to cook eggs and toast and jam and RICE CRISPIES. I might have been a *little* excited about the cereal...
After we eat, we generally clean up. Either Neil or I will take a bath with Harper while the other cleans up the kitchen and dining area. The bath tub is a pregnant lady/ toddler mom/ bath enthusiasts dream. Deep tub, handles for assistances, fast filling and draining, non-slip tile floor on the outside since the shower is enclosed with the tub. Our water baby generally loves it as well, and bath time shared with Mommy or Daddy is extra special.
![]() |
| Neil at his first fitting with the fab tailors |
People, I was in heaven there. Neil laughed at how excited I was to find grape jelly (now where else had grape, just every other flavor), JIF smooth PB, applesauce squeezes and mandarin oranges for the toddles. It was a great haul.
We always venture out to find fun activities for Harper on the weekends too. Both weekends we went to the pool, which she loves. Daddy takes charge since he moves a bit faster than I do right now, and Harper loves to jump in from the side, blow bubbles, float (well, she's working on being comfy on her back right now), and kick, kick, kick while we pull her along. Oh, and splash. And watch the fountains and big kids play. And this momma LOVES the excuse to submerge the big belly in the water and have the weight lifted from my back for a bit. Win-win.
![]() |
| The kiddie pool, completely with water-dumping fountain |
![]() |
| Harper making a pile of rocks earlier this week |
Last weekend we wandered together through the Kerry mall, which is right by our apartment. We ventured further out this weekend to the IFC mall- much, much bigger and grander by far. We ate at a steak house. It felt so posh. And yummy. Harper entertained the entire waitstaff, as usual. She ate almost half of my lobster bisque too. That kid LOVES a creamy seafood soup.
So, weekends here are busy. We get many things done, and use the time to plan our week ahead and discover new places. More than anything else, we enjoy the time together. This morning, Harper spent a good thirty minutes looking for Neil after he left for work. She just adores him.
Okay, folks. I am going to shut down the computer for a bit and rest before the toddles gets up. I have a errand to run for me residency paperwork this afternoon, and I need to get some downtime in before that happens.






I'm excited for you about the grape jelly! Grape has and always will be at the top of my jelly preference pyramid. Sean prefers the odder things like apricot, peach and even cherry - I didn't even know they *made* cherry jelly until we got married, and it sounds bizarre to me. Go Grape!
ReplyDeleteYes, grape is basically the only kind I truly like. Apple is okay, but inferior to apple butter. Honey is okay in a pinch. But grape is far superior. Harper, we learned, is not as picky as I am but does not care for jam.
ReplyDelete