Saturday, June 16, 2012

The new baby

No, not the actual expected child.  A new doll, whose current name is, of course, baby.

Harper has had a soft baby doll since just after her first birthday; also read, when we found out we were pregnant again.  She learned to hug and kiss the baby, and Harper enjoying keeping that baby in her crib to cuddle and play with when she woke up.

She will be 21 months old when her little sister arrives, and that is awfully young to try to understand what is happening in her life.  My main strategy to help her cope involved getting her another baby doll- a bit more realistic and easy to play with- a some accessories to go with it.  After a trip to Target, I stocked our air shipment with a new doll complete with stroller, car seat, high chair, pack and play, changing table, and carrier.

We will set up most of the accessories when we set up the baby's room.  The idea is that Harper can participate in the baby care by using her doll- when we change a diaper, Harper can do it too.  When I put Quinn in the carrier, Harper can wear baby too.  I plan to try to include Harper when I can, and I am hoping the plan helps her adjust to a family of four.

Well, when the air shipment arrived, I decide to open the doll and her stroller as a special new toy.  She LOVES baby.  And the stroller?  Pretty much her favorite.  Check out my little Jackie O- complete with her favorite necklace- five minutes after the box was opened.

A few nights later, Harper and I went along while Daddy played tennis at a friend's compound.  We hit the sandbox, the playground, ate some picnic-style, and then Harper and I played on the empty court next to the one Daddy was using.  I brought out the stroller and the baby.  Between the stroller and the tennis balls, she was throughly entertained.




And another one:

I think she might actually have potential as a future Wimbledon ball girl.

1 comment: